Information on this page was taken from the Citizens Advice website: 

After you get refugee status

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

If you’ve claimed asylum and been given refugee status, Asylum Support and 'section 4' support will stop 28 days after the decision.

This means you’ll:

Once you’ve got refugee status, you’ll get permission to work in the UK - in any profession and at any skill level. If you’re not ready or able to look for work and have very little or no income, you can apply for benefits instead.

You’ll also have to think about opening a bank account and getting a National Insurance number.

When you get migrant status, the Home Office will tell Migrant Help. Migrant Help is an organisation that can help you find housing, claim benefits and make an appointment at the Jobcentre. They’ll contact you within 1 working day of being told about your migrant status.

If you need extra support

Contact your local Citizens Advice  for help with benefits and housing, and to get details of local charities, English language schools and community groups.

Find a new home

If you’ve been living somewhere as part of getting Asylum Support, you’ll have to move within 28 days of getting refugee status.

If you’re already living with friends or family, you don’t need to move. If your friends or family are claiming benefits to help them pay rent, it might mean they receive less.

Talk to someone at your local Citizens Advice for more information.

If you need help getting housing

Contact your local council or housing office as soon as you can. The Home Office don’t provide accommodation to refugees, but your local council will be able to talk you through your options.

Whether you can stay in the same area depends on things like:

It’s worth knowing there are long waiting lists for accommodation - you might be put in a bed and breakfast (B&B) or hostel temporarily.

Getting help if you’re homeless

If you’re worried about becoming homeless, you can call the homeless charity Shelter on 0808 800 4444.

Shelter also has advice for refugees on getting help if you’re homeless.

You can also search online through Homeless Link to find emergency accommodation yourself.

If you need help paying a tenancy deposit, you can search for help to rent schemes through the housing charity Crisis.


If you’re ready to look for work, you can search online.

Contact UK NARIC if you have qualifications from your home country - you’ll need to find their UK equivalent to find a similar job here. It costs at least £55.20 to do this.

Claiming benefits

You might be entitled to benefits in the UK even though you’ll stop getting Asylum Support.

You might be entitled to benefits like:

You’ll need a National Insurance number to claim benefits - you’ll have applied for one at your interview with the Home Office when you first claimed asylum. You’ll also need it to pay tax and register with a doctor.

You can check what benefits you can get using a benefits calculator.

Get a National Insurance number

Normally, you’ll get your National Insurance (NI) number through the post just after you get refugee status.

If you haven’t received a NI number, call the National Insurance number application line. Ask whether they’ve issued you with a NI number - if they haven’t, ask what you need to do to get one.

Opening a bank account

Now that you have an immigration status, you’re allowed to open a UK bank account. It makes things like paying for food and bills much easier.

It should be an easy process if you have proof of your immigration status, but some banks might not have seen a biometric residence permit before. It’s a legal and valid form of identification (ID), no matter what they tell you. If they don’t accept it, print this page out and take it along to the bank.